Chili Verde Stew
- 1 lb boneless pork roast (or cubed stew pork)
- 2 quarts water, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4-1/2 cup chile verde, store bought or from scratch (5-6 chile ice cubes, if frozen ahead)
- 3 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 5 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Place the pork roast in a large pot. Add 1-2 cups of water. Cover with lid. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer 20-30 minutes, turning pork and adding more water, if needed. Remove from heat. Leave in pot and let sit for about 30 until cool enough to handle. Do not discard the broth. Place roast on a plate or cutting board. Use two forks to shred the pork, holding the roast in place with a fork in your less dominant hand and pulling shreds from the edge of the roast with a fork in your dominant hand.
- Place the shredded pork, chopped onions and garlic back in the same pot with the broth.
- Crush the celery seed, using a mortar and pestle.
- Add remaining water, spices, bouillon, chile verde and tomato sauce to pot.
- Simmer about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. About 45 minutes before serving, add sliced carrots. Bring to a boil and simmer. Wait 15 minutes, then add potatoes. Bring to a boil again, then simmer.
If you want to try your hand at making it from scratch, check out this post. A very convenient method for freezing home-made chile verde is to freeze it in ice cubes. The frozen chile cubes can then be placed in a gallon freezer bag and weeks later, an appropriate number can be removed from the bag and placed in your simmering stew or soup.
The stew can be enjoyed with home-made sour cream, which is not as hard to make as you might think, if you plan a few days ahead. But you can just as easily use commercial sour cream. Don't forget the tortillas or cornbread!
Courtesy of: Liz Marr, MS, RDN
Servings Per Recipe: 10-12
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 1.5 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30 mg
Sodium 360 mg
Total Carbohydrate 25 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Protein 13 g