DDPG March Recipe Contest!
Dishing Up Diabetes-Friendly Plates with Potatoes
Sponsored by Potatoes USA
Open to all DDPG members! Participate in our diabetes-friendly recipe contest with Potatoes USA, running from Wednesday, March 1, 2023 through Sunday, April 2, 2023. Details, prizes, contest rules and the submission template can be found below.
One Grand Prize: $1,500
Two Runners Up: $250 each
The rules are simple! Recipes must:
- Use at least one form (fresh, frozen, dehydrated, canned and/or chips) of potatoes (russet, red, white, yellow, blue/purple, fingerling, petite), excluding sweet potatoes/yams.
- All preparation methods are encouraged (e.g., baked, mashed, roasted, grilled, stewed, air fried, chilled, au gratin, scalloped, etc.)
- Be an original recipe.
- Be an appetizer, main entrée, snack, side dish, or dessert.
- Contain fewer than 10 ingredients. (Salt, pepper, spices, herbs and water do not count as ingredients.)
- Recipe preparation time (e.g., marinating, chopping, resting/rinsing) must not exceed 30 minutes. Note: this does not include cook time.
- Include a photo of your finished recipe (photo via smartphone is perfectly acceptable).
- Include a caption that highlights potato nutrition, versatility or affordability.
- Be appropriate for people with diabetes.
- While full nutritional analysis is not required for entry, recipes should be nutritionally balanced and appropriate for people with diabetes, with a focus on vegetables, fruit, whole grains, lean protein and healthy fats.
- OPTIONAL - If possible, include a nutritional analysis with your recipe. There are several free recipe analysis tools available, including Cronometer, to obtain nutritional information for your recipe.
Recipes will be judged on their adherence to the guidelines above, as well as their creative use of potatoes, clear instructions and appropriateness for diabetes. The top six recipes will be taste-tested by a blinded judging panel.
**Read the full Contest Rules prior to creating your recipe and submitting.**
Use this submission template to enter. Fill out the template in full and submit to DDPGRecipeContest@gmail.com no later than Sunday, April 2, 2023.
Winners will be notified in May 2022. Questions? Email DDPGRecipeContest@gmail.com.
Are you a potato-loving nutrition professional? Subscribe to the Spud Science Spotlight, a quarterly e-newsletter, to receive FREE continuing education opportunities, evidence-based resources and tasty recipes straight to your inbox. Sign up here!