Reimbursement & MNT Outcomes
Reimbursement for medical nutrition therapy (MNT) and diabetes self-management training (DSMT) is provided by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for Medicare beneficiaries, other third-party payers, including private health insurance companies, health maintenance organizations and preferred provider organizations.
There is a wealth of information about MNT reimbursement available on the members-only section of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics site, under the “Medical Nutrition Therapy” section at: http://www.eatright.org/mnt
- For specific questions regarding reimbursement, DCE members may contact DCE's Reimbursement Commitee Chairperson, Jennifer Okemah, MS, RD, CDE, BC-ADM
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Getting Paid
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Coding and Compliance
- Frequently Used Codes for Nutrition Services
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Community of Interest
- American Association of Diabetes Educators Resources
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Conversion Chart for ICD-9 to ICD-10
- Intensive Behavioral Therapy (IBT) for Obesity
- Healthcare Common Procedure System (HCPCS) General Information
Physician Fee Schedule Look-Up Tool
- Medicare reimbursement for Registered Dietitian services can be found using this tool
Steps to search for reimbursement amount, by location:
- Select appropriate year
- HCPCS criteria: Select single HCPCS code
- MAC option: Specific locality
- HCPCS code: put in desired CPT code (same as HCPCS code)
- Modifier: select ALL modifiers
- MAC: select specific locality of facility/office
- Preventative Services Medicare Quick Reference Information
- Annual Wellness Visit in Medicare is an Opportunity for RD's
- Obtain a National Provider Identifier (NPI)
- Affordable Care Act - Insurance Marketplace & Diabetes
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics White Paper
- MNT Provider- April 2015
- Public policy resources and updates
Members, please watch out for the ACTION ALERT! messages.
It is important that you respond to these messages that will be directed to your legislators regarding these timely issues. The Academy has made the system quick and effortless to respond. So be on the "ALERT!" You are helping your profession to get ahead!
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Telehealth Resources
- More resources coming soon!