Welcome new and returning DCE Members:
Welcome to the Diabetes Care and Education (DCE) Dietetic Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. We are excited that you have joined our group of talented members. We would like to especially thank our dedicated retired members who continue to upport us and a special welcome to new members and students.
Our purpose is to keep you updated on the latest knowledge and tools to optimize the health of people impacted by diabetes. DCE has much to offer because members choose to generously share their knowledge.
Our new strategic plan includes translating patient handouts into different languages. The first of these is the culturally competent version in Spanish of Ready, Set, Start Counting with a Moderator's Guide. We thank Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Eli Lilly and Company for supporting the project with an unrestricted grant.
This year, look for three editions of On the Cutting Edge with free continuing education included with membership for each issue. Three issues of NewsFLASH will keep you posted on what is happening in DCE. Patient handouts and recipes are posted at www.DCE.org to download.
By popular demand, DCE will host more webinars this year free to our members. Webinars are archived on our website for one year. Webinars can be ordered on the DCE website through Professional Resources in the Market Place. The cost is free as long as you were a member during the live broadcast.
Keep up with rapidly changing world of technology for diabetes care by checking our DCE website. Use the Electronic Mailing List to tap into our network of experts. Read up on what is new in research or how to become involved in research. Each month DCE will send you an update of what is happening.
At the end of June, DCE leaders will attend the Public Policy Workshop in Washington, DC in an effort to advocate for reimbursement for MNT for pre-diabetes. A few of us on the hill is not enough. Please join us in this effort by contacting your U.S. lawmakers monthly about H.R.1686 - Preventing Diabetes in Medicare Act of 2015.
I hope to meet you at Academy's Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ (FNCE®) this year. Please join us for the reception right after the opening session in the Boston Cenvention Center on Saturday night. Meet us again on Monday morning for breakfast. Details to follow.
Thank you for this wonderful opportunity to serve you this year.
Susan Yake, RDN, CD, CDE, CLT
DCE Chair 2016-2017
- Electronic Mailing List
- DCE Website Members Only Area
- Awards, Grants, Scholarships & Stipends
- Continuing Professional Education Events, Webinars, Networking & Receptions
- Legislative Activity
- Alliances and Task Force
On the Cutting Edge (OTCE), three issues annually of the peer-reviewed newsletter publication which provides self assessment questionnaires with continuing education credits. Free CPEUs are available in each issue of OTCE.
E-Update, a monthly electronic newsletter to keep our members informed about membership activities, late breaking news, legislative bulletins, volunteer opportunities, DCE projects and more. If you are a member and not receiving these, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
DCE reproducible patient educational handouts are produced annually and maintained in the DCE publication area of the website. New this year are handouts with the DCE logo through a partnership with NDEP
Free subscriptions to diabetes related magazines which may include Diabetic Cooking and Diabetic Living. (These may be periodically subject to change).
Electronic Mailing List
Electronic mailing list allows members to exchange opinions and resources in a timely matter enhancing their professional knowledge and experience.
DCE Website Members Only Area
The members only area of this website provides many valuable professional resources including:
- Current and archived DCE newsletters, both Newsflash and On The Cutting Edge (and associated quiz to obtain free CPEU's)
- DCE presentations including recorded webinars, slides of DCE presentations at FNCE
- Important articles of interest
- Archives of DCE electronics communications.
- Contact infomation for DCE leaders
-Credentials including links and reference
-MNT outcomes and reimbursement including the current and previous Medicare MNT Provider Newsletter
-Public policy and legislation with articles and important links
-The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics announcements that may be of particular importance to DCE members.
-Electronic Mailing List including how to join, manage your account, and access the archives.
Awards, Grants, Scholarships and Stipends
All awards, with the exception of the DCE Champion Award, are for DCE members only. For more information, application and nomination forms are available in the members only area.
Distinguished Service Award
DCE Champion Award
Legislative Activity Award
Educator of the Year Award
FNCE “challenge", student funding to attend FNCE awarded on behalf of DCE through ADAF.
MNT Outcomes Research Award-awarded through ADAF
Continuing Professional Educational Events, Networking, Webinars & Receptions
- FREE webinars for members on hot topics and a link to view it up to a year after the live presentation. Earn free CPEU’s. See the recent topics.
- DCE sponsors workshops and educational sessions for members at the Food & Nutrition Conference & Exhibition.
- DCE also supports educational sessions at American Association of Diabetes Educators, State Dietetic and Diabetes Educator meetings and the American Overseas Dietetic Association Meeting.
- DCE provides networking opportunities at member only receptions during FNCE and AADE.
- Global access to colleagues via DCE’s electronic mailing list.
- DCE e-update and e-blasts are communication tools for DCE members to receive monthly updates on membership activities, late breaking news, legislative bulletins, volunteer opportunities and DCE projects.
DCE continues to work with the Academy and other national professional groups to improve reimbursement for diabetes self-management education and medical nutrition therapy. More information and resources
Alliances and Task Force Involvement
- American Diabetes Association: Advocacy Committee—liaison representative from the Academy
- American Association of Diabetes Educators
- Appointment to the National Diabetes Education Program (steering committee and various Work Groups)
- IDF: International Diabetes Federation
- Confederation of Diabetes Organizations (AADE, ADbA, ADA, NCBDE, CDC, NDIC, NDEP)
- Enhancement and Promotion of the Academy's Strategic Initiatives and Campaigns DCE Strategic Priorities
- Many of the aforementioned products, services, activities, and events support the Academy's Strategic Initiatives